Port Charlotte, Florida. Many people have heard of it, but have you ever taken a drive around to see what this hidden Florida gem has to offer? Located on Florida’s Gulf Coast, Port Charlotte is an eccentric city with many fun things to do and places to go. Your Suncoasteam wants to help you get to know our home a little bit better.
Port Charlotte FACTS
*Data from 2010 US Census
- Population of 54,392
- Average age of resident is 50.1 years old
- Total households of 23,782
- Median household income of $41,524
- 79.5% of housing units are owner-occupied
- Average housing size (owner-occupied) of 2.27
- Average listing price (single-family home) is $176,459
Now that we have covered the “basic” information, we feel that it is our duty to provide you with an insider perspective of the area. Your Suncoasteam wants to share the best of the area’s attractions, dining, shopping, and entertainment, as well as some of the hidden gems that can be found in Port Charlotte. Known for its intricate fresh water canal system, Port Charlotte is nestled an hour south of Sarasota, Florida. Though it does not sit directly on the Gulf, a short drive can have you on pristine white beaches and splashing in the clear water of the Gulf of Mexico. However, there are still many exciting things to do and “must visit” places in this spectacular Florida city. Let’s take a look at what your Suncoasteam has deemed the “TOP 5” (the 5 places you must visit, dine, shop, or go to for entertainment).
Port Charlotte’s “TOP 5”
- Charlotte Sports Park — The Charlotte Sports Park is the spring training facility for the 2008 American League Champion, Tampa Bay Rays. It is also the home of the Rays single-A minor league affiliate, the Charlotte Stone Crabs. Located at 2300 El Jobean Road, this is a family friendly ball park that operates from February through September. Come in the early spring to watch the Rays prepare for another World Series run. When you get to the park for a spring training practice or game, you might even be able to get an autograph from your favorite Rays players (or the players on the visiting team). However, the fun doesn’t end once the Rays pack up and head north to St. Pete. Once spring training ends, the Stone Crabs bring fans to the ball park with their competitive, exciting play. This is your chance to see the future of the Rays organization. While at a game you can grab a hot dog and soda, or a drink from the tiki hut bar in centerfield. You can also purchase souvenirs and memorabilia so that you can have something from your trip to the ball park. The Charlotte Sports Park also hosts concerts during the year and has featured big names such as The Beach Boys, Kenny Rogers, and Simple Plan. The Charlotte Sports Park is must see for anyone visiting Port Charlotte.
- Port Charlotte Beach Park — Talk about things to do. There is SO much to do at the Port Charlotte Beach Park. Located at 4500 Harbor Boulevard, Port Charlotte Beach Park sits on the shores of Alligator Bay (don’t worry, it’s just a name!). For those who love the outdoors, this is the place to be. The Port Charlotte Beach Parks offers basketball/ tennis/ volleyball courts, BBQ grills, boating ramps, Bocce, Canoe/ Kayak, a dog park, loads of fishing areas, horseshoes, picnic shelters/ pavilion, a playground, a rec building, on-site restrooms, party room rentals, a swimming pool and beach access to the bay. This is such a great amenity for the residents of Port Charlotte, because it is so close to home and is very inexpensive. A friendly staff is there to make your experience memorable and enjoyable. And for those who just can’t get enough of those magnificent Florida sunsets, the Port Charlotte Beach Park is an ideal viewing location.
- Riverwood Golf Club — What list would be complete without a golf course? Southwest Florida is renowned for its many beautiful golf courses, but a favorite of your Suncoasteam is Riverwood Golf Club, located at 4100 Riverwood Drive. This beautiful 4.5 star, 18 hole course offers challenging wooded terrain, salt marshes, and wetlands that is surrounded by lush landscaping. Rates vary depending on public or membership status, time of day, and the time of year. Reasonable prices allow the general public to play on this course. Members can enjoy the Clubhouse Grille, where they can indulge in a variety of food and drinks. Riverwood Golf Club could also be the venue of the next wedding in your family. Whether it is wedding or golf that brings you to Riverwood Golf Club, you will not be disappointed. Offering what some may consider the best course in Florida, the Riverwood course is well-maintained and a dream for gulf enthusiasts.
- Nightlife and Restaurants — Port Charlotte has numerous fun and exciting spots for a night out on the town. One fun entertainment venue for a night out is Visani Restaurant and Comedy Theater. Located at 2400 Kings Highway, Visani is restaurant and comedy club of sorts. The menu has a fun, comedic theme to it, consisting of: The Prelude (appetizers), The Main Attraction (chicken, pasta and seafood specialties), The Headliner (a variety of steaks), Side Show (sides of pasta), and The Finale (desserts, of course). These unique menu categories offer many delicious and classic Italian dishes, such as Chicken Florentine, Chicken Cordon Bleu, Seafood Raviloi, Manicotti, Shrimp Combinations, Specialty Pizzas, and even Surf and Turf options. However, your meal is just half of what Visani offers. Comedic performances are what make the show. Comedians from Las Vegas to New York are featured throughout the week, making a night at Visani so memorable, you’ll want to go back. Another Port Charlotte favorite is Gatorz Bar & Grill, located at 3816 Tamiami Trail. Gatorz has been rated the #1 sports bar, #1 wings 14 years in a row, and #1 cold beer in Charlotte County. Offering live entertainment seven nights a week, Gatorz is a great source of nightlife in Port Charlotte. Wonderful live music, engaging events, and a charismatic atmosphere await those who visit Gatorz. However, it’s not all about the music and drinks; Gatorz has delicious food as well. Starting with their famous wings that are available in a variety of tasty sauces, the food here is unforgettable. A complete menu of burgers, sandwiches, and Gatorizerz (appetizers) is available at affordable prices. Go for the food and stay for the fun. Or go for the fun and stay for the food. Either way, Gatorz is a popular restaurant and nightlife location in Port Charlotte.
- Port Charlotte Town Center — For those who like to shop, a visit to Port Charlotte Town Center is a must. Located at 1441 Tamiami Trail, anchor stores Beall’s, Dillard’s, JC Penney, Macy’s, and Sears have something for every member of your family. Beachwear, electronics, clothing, shoes, makeup, bath and body, interior design, and music stores await those who visit Port Charlotte Town Center. Complete with a large food court and a movie theater, this is the perfect place to spend a day if you want to get out of the Florida sun for the day. This is a shopping-lovers paradise. Port Charlotte Town Center is a one-stop shop for all of your shopping therapy needs.
These 5 “must-see” places only scratch the surface of what Port Charlotte has to offer. There is something to do for everyone. If you have interest in property on Florida’s Gulf Coast, please click here, Southwest Florida Real Estate For Sale. For more information on a specific property, please contact Jim Mulligan, Suncoasteam Realty at 941-235-7474 or email@example.com.